Monday, September 6, 2010

Garage Sale Mania

Some of the funnest things about living in the mountains are the annual Garage Sales that occur every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend.  Not every one has the same mentality about garage sales, but those who love shopping at them will know EXACTLY what I am talking about!  Setting out with a fresh mug of coffee to begin the hunt is a rush like no other.  Truly, ANYTHING is possible!  Something you would never be able to purchase in the real world is a distinct possibility on these weekends. The great part is you have no idea what that item might be.

On the Wednesday before the sales, our local paper comes out with a big two page map of all of the garage sales.  These pages can be studied and dwelt on for hours.  Strategy and priorities are carefully plotted.  The night before it is hard to go to sleep!  There is no need for an alarm clock, because as soon as the sun is up, so are we.

This past Saturday morning, Michelle and I loaded the girls into the car and we were off.  Our excitement level was high and Jackie was as perky as we were.  It took a few drive by looks and even a couple of stops til we landed on just the right feel.  This "feel" is the perfect mixture of circumstances that make for a wonder shopping experience.  You can see that the sellers are your kind of people and have similar tastes.  And of course have things priced to sell.  When this occurs, anything can happen.  This unique situation actually occurred twice this weekend.

Our first  perfect stop ended with a stunning new sewing machine cabinet for me.  It is the electronic kind where the machine is on a platform and lowers into the cabinet when not in use.  It has absolutely tons of storage space and drawers. too.  There are slots on all of the doors to store thread.  It is a dream!  At the same house I purchased a little wooden cabinet to store "taters and onions".  Adorable! 


This is my old stand for my machine. 


Here is the new STUN!


At the same house I found this storage container for "taters and onions"

The second wonder stop occurred over in Twin Peaks at a spot where we almost didn't even stop.  We were doing a sloooow drive-by and we almost just kept on going when Michelle spotted a steel framed baby back pack.   We instantly pulled over and hit a goldmine! 
Vintage wall plaques to hang in Sissy's room.  I LOVE them!


The first 4 Childcraft Books with the same pictures and nursery rhymes  from my childhood. 


Looking at these pictures I can hear my mother reading to Debbie and I.


Are these just darling or what?


I can hardly wait to read from these books to my sweet little grandchildren.


I have a collection of Coca-Cola teddy bear cookie jars that are across the top of my kitchen cupboards.  This little guy is a darling addition to keep on the counter.

Besides all of these treasures,  we got several other fun items.  The best part of all was having some wonderful, bonding family moments.....We were all united in a common cause..BARGAINS!






7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you got some TRUE stuns....I LOVE the sewing cabinet....it is REALLY nice, and I know you will use it to death. The Tater/onionn cabinet is darling, and I love the vintage pics for Sissy, and oh Di those books. Those pics brought back such memories... I LOVE them too. And finally the cookie jar is adorable....What finds....Did ya notice we have the same background? hahaha Sooo us...Feel like I haven't REALLY talked to you in days. Are you starting school today? Call me when you can. I am going to Jess's to get my roots done this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Diane!!! Love your new "stuff!" Especially those adorable books, and the new sewing cabinet!!! What fun!!! I had a HARD time not going to all the garage sales this weekend up in the mountains! But we had my daughter and grandson with us, so I was busy!!! Next time!!
    So happy to have you back to blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am jealous! The garage sales by my house are usually pretty snory. I love the 'taters and onions' cabinet. And the books! My mother just found for Sarah some vintage fairy books from England, so cute. I love vintage children's books. Really, children's books today are just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got to LOVE garage sales!!! If only I could get everyone up one morning to go around. I would love to find a few pieces of furniture to refinish!! Love your sewing table and those books are awesome!! I'm in love with those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stranger,
    Great finds, and great to have you back blogging.
    I am having a DWTS party in Oct, hope you can come.
    Maryrose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe what a stun the sewing cabinet is....wow! I actually RECOGNIZED the pictures in those books. I would KILL for them! What a LUCKY find they were!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great finds! Those books are so neat. I am such a fan of old books! How fun to read those to your grandkids!

    I wish we did more garage sale hunting! It seems the good ones are on saturday mornings, and either my husband is at work and I do not want to take my hooligans along to garage sale shop, or I work. one of these days!

    Great finds! :)

    ReplyDelete