Thursday, May 21, 2009

More Arrivals!

This picture shows the size differnce
one day can make!












This picture is one of my very favorites. Patches is sitting on her newly hatched babies. She was making a little twittering sound which is her signal to Handsome that she wants him to feed her. He frantically jumps around the cage eating and then rushes to her side to feed her. The whole time he is feeding her she is fluttering her wings. It is such a sweet thing to watch. I love it!





You can see in this picture how they have downy like fuzz on their bodies and big black circles covering their still closed eyes. The dark on their necks is their little crops getting filled with food.






This picture shows the difference in their coloring. The oldest three are dark skinned and the youngest two are pinkish skinned.



We started off with the first 3 hatching on Monday. Then Tuesday morning, the fourth hatched and the fifth hatched on Tuesday afternoon. You have to keep in mind that these birds grow from the size of the top of your thumb to full grown birds in less than 3 weeks. That means that a day and a half behind in hatching is a lot. I was really afraid that the two smallest might get lost in the pile when heads come up for food. Last night I stood there forever watching and I never saw the tiniest one at all. I was trying to prepare Jackie for the worst, but she was having none of it. She ran back in my room and got up on the chair to watch them. Sure enough, after a few minutes, she came running out yelling she had seen the fifth head. I ran back with her and there was the little guy! Yeah!!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW Di....You've officially gone orbital....these pics are STUNS....I have always thought you took good pics, (really I have) but now with the new camera, you've gone truly pro level....I can't wait to show these pics to Jeffie....by the way, I can't even seem to post a pic with a caption underneath even though I check the box with that on it (I think I am anyway)I NEED to know how...haha Hopefully you can show me tomorrow.... = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not hard to do the caption underneath. After MANY hits and misses, I have somewhat figured it out.

    ReplyDelete