Thursday, May 7, 2009

Canary Fun






As most of you know, I have a love of birds. The ones I have enjoyed the most over the years are canaries. At one point, Danae, Dean and I could have practically had a canary ranch going! It is an incredibly fun hobby to have and it can also be profitable. Since Danae has been off of work, she has gotten the ball rolling again. I ended up buying a pair last week and the fun has begun again...... The difference is that this time I don't have as much room for cages, so I will have to enjoy on a limited basis. There is something so interesting about watching the whole process. The couple (who are hopefully compatible) check each other out. If he likes the feel of her, he will sing to her and feed her. Then she will begin frantically building a nest. Hopefully, somewhere during all of these steps they will be mating. Once the nest is built, she will start laying within a couple of days. My female (named Patches by Jackie) started laying last Saturday and layed each day for 5 days. The male, Handsome, (also a Jackie name) has been singing to her and feeding her while she is on the nest. If all goes well in two weeks baby birds should hatch. I never actually saw them mate, so there is a distinct possibility that her eggs are not fertile. It is a major hit and miss process, but when everything clicks it is wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. The page and song are a stun! WHERE did you find this background? I am SICK I didn't see it first! The pics are also a STUN! If I don't figure the song thing out I'm not blogging anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is REALLY cute Di....and major easy on the song...lol Is that Handsome singing to Patches in the first pic??? Or is it just Patches working her nest??? Try and get one with both birds going....If you can get pics of baby birds etc., it will be REALLY neat.... (just a tip..haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, in the first pic he is singing to her on the nest. She is buried inside so it is kind of hard to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those little chicks at the top look like they're dancing!

    ReplyDelete