Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Fun Day

This is one of my favorite days of the week. It is the day I go and work in Jackie's classroom. All of the kids call me "Jackie's Grandma" and you can see how perky that makes her. While I am there, they are working at stations, which is groups of four moving from center to center doing different projects. I usually am sitting at one of the centers to help with one of their projects. Today it was having them take turns reading to me out of their little weekly Scholastic mags and then answering the questions on the back. It brings back the old days of playing school and it is still just as much fun as it ever was! First graders are one of the most adoraable age groups! The kids are so sweet and innocent, yet smart and interesting, too. Mel, you are so lucky that you will be doing this for your job!

It is so funny, because even at this young age you can see ahead to who they will be in high school. The clown, the jock, the nerd, the flirt, the brain, the beauty, the runt, the fart and so on. They all love to talk and I love to listen. Sometimes it is hard to concentrate on the work, as they can have me roaring over their stories. One little boy, (the clown and the doll in one) is always doing weird voices and getting the crowd going. His staunchest fan, ( little Miss Trying too Hard) waits adoringly for whatever his next move will be so she can lead the giggles. The funny thing is he is well aware of her and "plays" to her accordingly. Two little girls who sit together and are practically joined at the hip were in a huff today. They stalked over to the desks and sat down at opposite sides. I asked them if their were in a fight and they both dramatically squealed out, "Yes." I asked one of them what was wrong and as she began to tell the story, the other one snarled out, "Don't you roll your eyes at me. I KNOW what that means!" It was all I could do not to burst into laughter. The stories go on and on. As I said, I look forward to this day all week long.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself Di

    Notice my smiling Pic is in your followers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved my days doing what you are doing at Upland Christian....it was sooo fun and the kids were so adorable. I would give anything (except what it would actually take haha) to have my own first grade class next year..I so envy Mel that it isn't even funny. I've told her more than once, she's living my dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a fun feel? Trust me I have so many funny kid stories, in fact I should probably have a whole blog dedicated to it.

    ReplyDelete