Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St.Patrick's Day Blessings

St. Patrick's Day for my family is always a celebration. Actually, all of my life it has been an important day. When Deb and I were in grade school, it was Disneyland Day for the Catholic schools, which meant a day off of school. When I was in seventh grade, it was the first time I got to go to Disneyland alone with a friend. I can still remember my utter excitement at the prospect. My best friend, Jenny McFarland, spent the night before with me. We did our hair up in curlers and sat on the bed with a notebook and a map of Disneyland planning out our day, moment by moment. We were absolutely giddy at the thought of being in complete control of our actions! We could do what ever we wanted to! We were going to take our time going down Main Street. We were going to browse in the shops as long as we wanted, without our dads telling us to hurry up and keep moving. We stayed up late. too excited to sleep. It was one of those days that was just as much fun as you had thought it would be. Forty years later, I can still remember the feeling.

Today as I watched Jackie's excited little head skipping into school wearing a green shirt, I thought back to my own excitement on this special day. I thought back to Minnie's little head doing the exact same thing when she was little. Many times as I look at Jackie it is as though Min is still that little girl...............It is just one of the many wonders of a grandchild.

We always have given each other cards and small gifts on this day. We have corned beef and cabbage and as much green food as we can for dinner. We watch leprechaun movies and drink green lemonade. It is so wondrous to see Michelle with her little girl, passing on these special traditions. Jackie and I sat at the table tonite and talked while she colored a beautiful picture for Min and Scott, to go in their card. She was chattering the whole time about her plans for an elaborate leprechaun trap. Seeing her innocent little face light up at the thought of actually catching one was priceless! She was so excited, she wanted to sleep in a recliner to watch her trap. (needless to say she is now headless)

This has been a wonderful day and I thank God for my St.Patrick's Day Blessings.

5 comments:

  1. I forgot all about Disneyland on St. Patty's day....we did that a few times...sooo fun...speaking of Jen McFarland, I've been going to ask you this a MILLION times, did you hear she has breast cancer?? scary huh?? anyway, sounds like a fun day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I had not heard that...........

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow mom, way to reck the feel..... debbie downer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy, I agree! I really think her comment should have contained "D" at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha Your right, perhaps a censored comment code was in order...

    ReplyDelete