Monday, March 9, 2009

Still in Transition

I had thought that by now I would be up and running on the new computer. Downloading my pictures has been MUCH more of a project than I had ever imagined. I had them all on my Kodak program listed with different album titles. Some of the albums had as few as 4 pictures and some as many as 36. These pictures were from 2004-2007. I did not have dates on them and the were listed in alphabetical order, all 186 albums. I decided that I wanted to have them on the CD's by year for future scrapbooking. I went thru and viewed each album and inserted the proper CD for the year, downloaded it, and then wrote the album title and number of pics for it on the CD sleeve. I then deleted the album to the trash, to keep organized as to where I was at. I had all 8 CD's numbered with a corresponding number on the CD sleeve. I had them all neatly arranged on the desk, so that I could finish up the project this morning. (You will later see why all of these details were necessary for me to list.)

On Saturday, Michelle and Jackie went and had St. Patrick's Day pictures taken. Scott had to work, so they were having a little mother daughter fun. Michelle came home and showed me the pictures (which were darling!) and I put them on my desk. (Are we noticing a pattern here? HINT-things of importance on the desk) Sunday morning I was in the kitchen making breakfast, while listening to Miley, my dog, whine from my bedroom. We have a gate and keep her there so she is separated from Hannah, (Min and Scott's dog) some of the time and so that they are both not just running thru the house. I finish making breakfast and go down the hall to my room, where a sickening sight meets my eyes. The envelope and most of the St. Patrick's Day pictures are in a mangled, torn apart pile on the floor. Miley is off to the side, dozing contentedly....... Needless to say, by the end of my rant, she is cowering behind the rocking chair.

This morning, after having taken Miley with me to Costco yesterday, (just so she would not be alone in my room) I decided to leave her alone for literally 5 minutes while I made coffee. I sprint back down the hall when I finish, because of course I am worried about what she might have gotten into during my absence. To my HORROR, on the floor as I enter the room, is one of the CD sleeves from my downloaded pictures all chewed up. My stomach tightens and I think my my brain actually contorted oddly, as I looked around and saw the actual CD across the room chewed up. I lost it! Greg comes running out of the bathroom yelling at Miley, who quickly retreats to the corner. He actually says to me, "Why did you leave it laying out?" I am sure I need to go no further as the rest of the conversation can be easily imagined.......

I will be spending today going thru my computer trash of approximately 2,000 pictures, looking for the ones chewed by the dog. Miley will be spending the day, if not the rest of her life, in the dog run.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Di, my head would have spun so far into orbit it would hard to say when it would return. HOW DRAINING.....though thank goodness you had it as organized as you did, so even though you will have to search, you can replace it....and yes I know right where that conversation went...haha I have had soooo many things recently that required sooo much time, much more brain capacity than what I have, and patience the likes of which I can never seem to muster up, I can somewhat relate...Jeff has found me a drooling, mumbling stressed out mess more than once recently....haha good luck on fixing it all, and Miley, I wouldn't offer so much as a yip in protest if I were you........

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A BURNING NIGHTMARE!!!!! I literaly could feel my own stomache dropping, my heart tighting, and my pulse quickening.. I can't even believe how irro that is, dog might possible need to be adopted out, haha. I will be praying you find what you need and fix it! What's gonna happen on the pics of Min and Jackie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, I have already called the place about the pics and they keep them on file for 2 weeks, so I will go down and buy new ones. I think that I have pretty much gotten everything I need from the trash and have created a new CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing you didn't empty the trash.

    I know throwing things in the trash is a great way of keeping track of whats done, but you run the risk of someone emptying it. Which is a lesson I've learned the hard way.

    You could always create a folder on your desktop and name it "Future Trash", and put everything you want to throw away in there. Then periodically go through it item by item and make sure you don't need it, and throw it away for real if you don't. I have that going on my computer at work, have for years. You get the benefit of it being out of the way, but you've got a buffer between the data and oblivion.

    And of course, even when you empty the trash, the data isn't really done, you can still get it back. But it's a full production.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck, after this incident, I will definitely be taking way more precatuions with things. Good idea on the "Future Trash"

    ReplyDelete